Nassau County Schools and Government Offices will closed on Thursday, October 6th and Friday, October 7th, however Emergency personnel will be on duty. The Historic Courthouse will be closed on Thursday, however please be advised that the Judicial Complex/Courthouse will remain open until noon on Thursday in order for them to hold Criminal Court.
Nassau County will begin having hurricane force winds mid-morning on Friday and the Shave Bridge will close once there are sustained (continuous) winds of 45mph. It is important that everyone on Amelia Island be evacuated before this occurs.
Emergency shelters will open at the following locations beginning tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. on Thursday:
General Population Shelters (no pets)
- Bryceville Elementary School, 6504 Church Ave, Hilliard, FL 32046
- Callahan Intermediate School, 34586 Ball Park Road, Callahan, FL 32011
- Hilliard Elementary School, 27568 Ohio Street, Hilliard, FL 32046
- West Nassau High School, 1 Warrior Drive, Callahan, FL 32011
- Callahan Middle School, 450121 Old Dixie Highway, Callahan, FL 32011
- Hilliard Middle-Senior High School, 1 Flashes Avenue, Hilliard, FL 32046
Note: Yulee Middle School and Yulee High School are designated as General Population Emergency Shelters and Yulee Elementary is designated as a Pet Friendly Shelter however those are not scheduled to be open yet. Emergency personnel generally open shelters from west to east in order to have people as far away from the shoreline as possible.
For those that do not have transportation to a shelter, please be advised that they will be setting up bus stops and providing transportation to those who need it. More info to come.
County Manager's Office