FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TO: Local Media
FROM: Janice Ancrum, President & CEO, Nassau County Council on Aging (NCCOA)
RE: Changes in Operations Due to COVID-19; Meals for Seniors in Need to Continue
DATE: March 16, 2020
Changes in Operations Due to COVID-19; Meals for Seniors in Need to Continue
In the wake of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak, NCCOA has communicated regularly with our various audiences – members, supporters, volunteers and staff – and, most especially, our seniors – providing updates on our response to this situation. We have stated that we are following the guidance of the Department of Elder Affairs, Florida Department of Health and Centers for Disease Control (CDC), maintaining our normal hygiene regimen in all NCCOA facilities and monitoring the situation to make operational changes as recommended. While we have not traced direct contact from anyone having the virus to our Fernandina Beach Life Center, Hilliard Life Center and/or NassauTRANSIT facilities, we have received updated guidance to help ensure the safety and wellness of those we serve – Nassau County seniors.
Effective Monday, March 16, NCCOA will take the following actions:
- All NCCOA-related classes, activities and support groups will be suspended at both the Fernandina Beach Life Center and Hilliard Life Center through April 30; the Amelia Island Duplicate Bridge Club has also paused its weekly games indefinitely
- Both Life Centers will pause our daily seniors’ group (“Just Friends”) beginning Monday, March 16. We will continue meal delivery to this affected group after that date; 1 in 3 seniors in Nassau County suffers from food insecurity, meaning they do not know where their next meal is coming from. NCCOA will help ensure that our seniors receive meals and any other necessities they require, e.g., groceries, prescriptions, etc.
- Our Adult Day HealthCare program at the Fernandina Beach Life Center will pause by close of business on Friday, March 20. As always, we will stay in close touch with our members and their caregivers during this time and provide necessary help and assistance.
- NassauTRANSIT will operate its normal schedule, unless we are directed otherwise by the Florida Department of Transportation. As always, buses will continue to be sanitized throughout each day of operation.
- Home Health services will continue to be provided by NCCOA Home Health Aides and CNAs in the home of seniors.
- There will be no new space rentals at the Fernandina Beach Life Center until further notice; rentals already booked will be honored.
“Our mission is to ensure that our seniors receive services and compassionate care throughout each and every day – no matter what the current situation,” said Janice Ancrum, NCCOA President & CEO. “NCCOA’s staff and volunteers will continue to support the seniors of Nassau County during this challenging time.”
While COVID-19 has created a challenging operational situation, the greatest threat to NCCOA and the Nassau County seniors we serve is that state funding will be reduced since Life Center services are not being provided. However, NCCOA will continue to do our utmost – along with the generous support of our community – to make sure seniors have meals and any other assistance they may need.
For general questions, please contact Liz Dunn, Marketing & Communications Director,
904-775-5473. You may also contact Janice Ancrum, President & CEO, directly at 904-775-5475. We will continue to keep you informed of our plans and progress. Thank you for your support.
NCCOA contacts for questions and additional information:
- Programs & Services – Robin Bogosh, Programs & Services Director, 904-775-5495
- Home Health – Debra Jean Landolfi, Home Health Director, 904-775-5476
- Adult Day HealthCare – Debra Dombkowski, LPN, CDP, ADHC Director, 904-775-5480
- Hilliard Life Center – Linda Rogers, Office Manager, 904-451-9371
- Building Operations – Don Harley, Human Resources & Compliance Director, 904-775-5485
- Life Center Activities – Melody Dawkins, Membership & Community Engagement Director, 904-775-5477
- NassauTRANSIT – Mike Hays, Transportation Director, 904-844-2081
- Volunteers – Lynne Starling, Volunteer Director, 904-775-5490
- Development/Donor Relations – Wallace Bennett, Development Director, 904-775-5481
- COVID-19 information: