Public Information Officer
Board Approves Donation for Barnabas Program to Provide Emergency Assistance to Individuals Who Have Been Furloughed Due to COVID-19
Nassau County, Florida, April 17, 2020 – At a Special Meeting today, the Board of County Commissioners approved a $50,000 donation to the Barnabas Center for their programs that provide emergency assistance to individuals who have been furloughed due to COVID-19.
Ms. Wanda Lanier, Chief Executive Officer for the Barnabas Center stated, “We are ready to help individuals and families who have lost income due to job loss, reduced work hours, etc. during the COVID-19 crisis. Services that are available to Nassau County residents include food assistance, financial assistance with rent/mortgage and utility payments, and urgent medical and dental care.
Board Chairman, Danny Leeper, stated, “This is a great opportunity to help those employees in Nassau County who have been affected with loss of job or income due to COVID-19”.
Individuals needing assistance should contact Barnabas directly at (904) 261-7000 for information on services that are available to them and for eligibility information.
Below is an outline of services provided:
Emergency Financial Assistance:
- Short-term payment assistance with past due rent, mortgage & utilities (electric, water, gas), etc. – must be able to document loss of income due to furlough status, job loss, or reduced work hours
- Assistance in applying for public benefits programs, i.e. food stamps and Medicaid
- Referrals & information for additional services
Food Assistance (schedule for April):
- Barnabas Food Pantry: Monday, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.; Tuesday & Wednesday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (1303 Jasmine Street, Suite 101, Fernandina Beach)
- Hilliard Food Distribution – 3rd Monday each month – drive through style – Next distribution April 20th – Arrive no earlier than 10:30 a.m. – First Baptist Church (15850 CR 108, Hilliard)
- Weekly Food Assistance: Hilliard – Every Wednesday – 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. – First Baptist Church (15850 CR 108, Hilliard)
- Weekly Food Assistance: Callahan – Every Wednesday – 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – First Baptist Church (45090 Green Avenue, Callahan)
- Weekly Food Assistance: Fernandina Beach – Every Thursday – 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. – First Baptist Church (1600 8th street, Fernandina Beach)
Urgent Medical and Dental Care: Urgent medical and dental care to adults who are uninsured and low to moderate income, and do not have a primary care doctor or a regular dentist.
It is requested that you call in advance for a telephone pre- screening for crisis assistance, food stamp and/or Medicaid applications before visiting their office.