The Nassau County Board of County Commissioners has approximately $120,000 in affordable housing dollars available through the State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) Program to serve persons with Developmental Disability/Disabling Condition/Special Needs providing home modifications/rehabilitation to an existing home or providing down payment and closing cost assistance to those qualifying to purchase a home or to the family member with whom they reside. Mobile homes are not eligible for assistance.
Developmental Disability means a disorder or syndrome that is attributable to intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, autism, spina bifida, or Prader-Willi syndrome; that manifests before the age of 18; and that constitutes a substantial handicap that can reasonably be expected to continue indefinitely.
s. 393.063(9) Florida Statues
Disabling Condition means a diagnosable substance abuse disorder, serious mental illness, developmental disability or chronic physical illness or disability or the co-occurrence of two or more of these conditions, and a determination that the condition is:
- Expected to be long-continued and indefinite duration and
- Not expected to impair the ability of the person with special needs to live independently with appropriate supports.
Special Needs means an adult person requiring independent living services in order to maintain housing or develop independent living skills and who has a disabling condition:
- A young adult formerly in foster care who is eligible for services under s. 409.1451(5)
- A survivor of domestic violence as defined in s. 741.28 or
- A person receiving disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program or from Veteran’s Disability Benefits.
For additional information, please visit our website. You may also contact Grants Specialist, Carol Gilchrist, at (904) 530-6020 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
County Manager's Office