During today's webinar, Emergency Management Director, Greg Foster, provided an update on the Coronavirus.
Current Statistics Worldwide
The virus has now spread to over 100 countries.
Current Statistics in the United States
In the United States, there are currently 1,629 cases and 41 total deaths. There are currently only 3 States that are experiencing sustained, community spread. Florida is not one of them.
Current Statistics in Florida
In Florida, 50 individuals have tested positive. 42 were residents, 5 are repatriated residents who are currently out of the State, and 3 are non-residents visiting the State.
Current Statistics in Nassau County
In Nassau County, there is still only 1 confirmed case. There is no community spread.
Emergency Management advised that the most vulnerable are older adults and people with chronic medical conditions such as heart disease, lung disease and diabetes. Tips to prevent spreading include:
- Covering mouth with cloth when coughing or sneezing
- Washing hands often for at least 20 seconds
- Using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Frequently cleaning commonly touched surfaces such as steering wheels, remotes, keyboards, phones, doorknobs, and countertops
- Use bleach when possible. If mixing your own cleaning agent with bleach, mix it right before use. Solutions that are pre-mixed will break down and will be less effective
- Practice social distancing
- Stay home if sick
- If you suspect you’ve been exposed, notify the Department of Health at 904-875-6100
Your County government is currently operating as usual. In light of the public and private closures going on around the State, the Board of County Commissioners will have a Special Meeting at 4:30 p.m.on Monday, March 16th to discuss continuing all public hearings for 30 days. The meeting will be held at the Emergency Operations Center located at 77150 Citizens Circle, Yulee, FL 32097.
County Manager's Office